Board of Education
The Harmony Emge SD #175 Board of Education normally conducts its regular meetings on the last Monday of each month at 7:00 P.M. in Emge’s conference room. The public is welcome to attend Board meetings. The monthly agenda will be posted in the central office and on the door of the conference room. In addition, the approved minutes of meetings will be posted on the district’s website.
The agenda for each Board of Education meeting will include Public Comments from staff, parents, or community members. General comments may be made in open session, while comments addressing specific staff or specific students must be conducted in closed session. Please contact the superintendent at least two days in advance of the meeting to request being placed on the agenda for all closed session matters.
Harmony-Emge School District 175 Policy # 2:230
School Board Public Participation at School Board Meetings and Petitions to the Board
At each regular and special open meeting, members of the public and District employees may comment on or ask questions of the Board, subject to reasonable constraints. The individuals appearing before the Board are expected to follow these guidelines:
1. Address the Board only at the appropriate time as indicated on the agenda and when recognized by the Board President.
2. A number of individuals wishing to address the Board on a single subject shall choose a spokesperson to speak in their behalf.
3. Identify oneself and be brief. Ordinarily, such comments shall be limited to 5 minutes. In unusual circumstances, and when an individual has made a request in advance to speak for a longer period of time, the individual has given advance notice of the need to speak for a longer period of time, such person may be allowed to speak for more than 1 minute.
4. Observe the Board President’s decision to shorten public comment to conserve time and give the maximum number of individuals an opportunity to speak.
5. Observe the Board President’s decision to determine procedural matters regarding public participation not otherwise covered in Board policy.
6. Conduct oneself with respect and civility toward others and otherwise abide by Board policy, 8:30,
Visitors to and Conduct on School Property.
Petitions or written correspondence to the Board shall be presented to the School Board at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting.
LEGAL REF.: 5 ILCS 120/2.06.
CROSS REF.: 2:220 (School Board Meeting Procedure), 8:10 (Connection with the Community), 8:30 105 ILCS 5/10-6 and 5/10-16.
(Visitors to and Conduct on School Property), 8:110 (Public Suggestions and Complaints)
ADOPTED: February 28, 2011
Procedures for Voicing Parent Concerns or Suggestions
Parents or guardians should follow the appropriate chain of command when voicing concerns or suggestions. Parents or guardians are encouraged to schedule an appointment with the respective teacher or staff member if a concern or problem arises. Most misunderstandings can be cleared up through friendly discussions. Parents or guardians, as with all visitors, are required to report to the main office prior to the appointment, sign in, and obtain a name badge. Parents or guardians should never interrupt the classroom, stand in the hall, or approach the teacher without notice to discuss a concern. An appropriate time and location of the meeting should be established to avoid the presence of students or other parents in order to assure confidentiality. Parents or guardians and/or the teacher may request an administrator to be present for any meeting or conference.
If, after the meeting with a teacher, a parent or guardian continues to feel the problem has not been resolved, the parent should contact the principal. The administrator will then investigate and make every effort to resolve any conflict. Likewise, if the concern involves an administrator, parents are urged to schedule a meeting to discuss the concern to attempt to reach resolution. If not satisfied, the superintendent should be notified. If all avenues of reaching a resolution are exhausted, the complaint should go before the Board of Education.
If a parent or guardian exhibits conduct that is disrespectful, threatening, uses profanity, or is unruly to the teacher, administrator, or any other individual on school grounds, the meeting will immediately end. The administration has the authority to ban unruly parents from school premises per Board policy. Parents have a right to appeal the decision to the Board of Education.